Saturday, May 10, 2014

L.A. Escapes — Ezra Jack Keats at the Skirball

From Ezra Jack Keats' "Whistle For Willie."

The iconic artwork of children's author/illustrator, Ezra Jack Keats is now on display at the Skirball Cultural Center, a fact that I'd nearly missed if not for an ad I flipped past in Los Angeles Magazine.

The Westside museum has more than 80 artworks, including original sketches, paintings and collages. Why I haven't spied pennants and billboards to this effect is a mystery to me. Keats' vibrant pinks, oranges and reds hanging from lampposts would easily cheer up commuters cursing cross-town gridlock.

I've loved his books since childhood and, as an adult, I was quick to cop a version of "The Snowy Day" the minute I knew I was having a child of my own. I even have a snapshot from "Whistle For Willie" as my phone's lock screen image (and have secretly harbored a longing to get an EJK-themed tattoo...shhh...don't tell).

"Goggles!", 1969.

For me, Keats' images evoke innocence, simplicity, urbanity and humanity, all while putting sweet little brown faces in the spotlight for a change. Looking through his pages, you can almost hear strains of be-bop, inner-city horns honking and kids laughing. (Growing up, I always just assumed Keats, himself, was a black illustrator. I later learned he was actually a Brooklyn-bred son of Jewish immigrants.)

This exhibit has me wanting to grab a knapsack and go full-on "Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler" (much like I wanted to during the museum's Gary Baseman exhibit).

Check it out before the September 7 close date. Admission is FREE on Thursdays.

Skirball Cultural Center
2701 N. Sepulveda Blvd. (***there once was a 405 exit that dropped you off right on the front steps, but you have to exit at Getty Center Dr. and back-track, the last time I checked.)
LA, CA 90049

No comments:

Post a Comment