Saturday, February 16, 2013

Wantables — Dizzying Patterns (and prices)

A week's worth of sunny, warm days has me ready to shake off the gray/black/charcoal doldrums that have had me in their thrall all "winter" long. [I am aware that some may not think L.A. gets cold. To them I say, "Go kick rocks. I can see my breath while sitting in my house and am, therefore, well within my rights to have on multiple pairs of socks.]

As the spring catalogs start rolling in, I've been getting an eyeful of crazy prints and patterns that are filling me with longing, as well as, low-grade vertigo.

Blouson One-Piece by Maaji for Garnet Hill, $74.

These are for kids. I'm not suggesting that I, or anyone else on the planet spend $74 on a bathing suit for kids. All the same, I find them aesthetically pleasing and am glad they exist.




Kids' line, Tea Collection, seems to know exactly what I like and they're serving it up with their new African-inspired line (even if they're still somewhat unclear on Leigh-Ann-friendly pricing).

Tea Collection "African Lily" Dress, Nordstrom, $35.
Tea Collection "Giraffe" Dress, Nordstrom,  $29.
My only other critique is that the brand's dresses never twirl. For the umpteenth year in a row, my daughter has stuck by the "spin test" when trying on skirts and dresses. I rather thought she'd have grown out of that relatively babyish habit by now, but I guess I should count my blessings. Regardless, I will be stalking Nordstrom Rack something fierce waiting for these Tea pieces to enter discount limbo.

Colorblock Café Capri, J. Crew,  $178.


Whaaat? These J. Crew pants are so bonkers! I just could never pull this off, but I give them a round of applause nonetheless for the sheer fun factor. Now, if I were Lady Miss Kier, that'd be another story.

Meanwhile...
I am the queen of buying overstatement shoes and then not having the guts to actually wear them. As a result, the floor of my closet looks like a well-curated, rainbow-hued (dusty) art gallery. I recognize that this is curious behavior and is probably emblematic of all manner of larger issues. Don't care! More shoes!!!

Watercolor Authentic Slim, Vans, $55.


Toms Blue Ikat Strappy Wedges, $69.

Yes, ikat's a trifle played-out by now, but I make my own rules.

For the home...

Bauhaus Stripe Duvet Cover, Urban Outfitters.
Maybe I'd find it a lot easier to trick myself into becoming a morning person if I had a stand-at-attention textile like this one draped over my bed. Anecdotally, this seems like something that "jasmine oil and woven neckpouch-wearing" Leigh-Ann would've begged her mom for (and been denied) back in '94.



The more my mess-prone crew leaves stains on our sofa, the more I need to run throw pillow damage control. These would make for lively camouflage.



This one (above) is part of an Alyson Fox (yay, ATX!) collaboration with West Elm and the one below is by L.A.-based designer, Wolfum.

Flame stitch pillow, Wolfum, $75.



No comments:

Post a Comment