Monday, March 18, 2013

Sweden's Calling












It's gotten to where as soon as I hear a song that pushes all the right buttons, I just naturally assume the artist/group is Swedish. First, it was Little Dragon. I've seen them live, copped all their albums, posted about them and, honestly, was inspired to write this post when I walked into Broome Street General Store and the store's speakers were blasting them.

Little Dragon

Then, I caught one of Sweden's biggest artists, Robyn, on this Wyatt Cenac segment of The Daily Show. I found it odd that I'd never heard of her and wanted to rectify that. (She comes in around 3:00.)






Slowly, but surely, I started accumulating more and more favorites from Sweden. What do they put in the water over there? Maybe it's the lingonberry juice, and whatnot, but the music's giving me all the right kind of broody, groove-intensive goodness that I like/need.

Now, if I were super cool and for-real worldly, I'd be listening to deep cuts actually sung in Swedish. I'm not quite there yet. In fact, the only Swedish-language track I do know is probably one of my least favorite things I've ever heard, courtesy of my Swedish friend, Malin (listen, if you dare).

Here's a playlist of some of my Swedish discoveries (with, full disclaimer, two Danish additions b/c it's still the same little corner of the world, right?)


1 comment:

  1. You need to check out Royksopp as well. Norwegian, not Swedish.And on tour with Robyn this summer. (June 29 at the bowl) I got a block of tickets if you want to join us.

    ReplyDelete