Monday, August 8, 2011

Watch This — Adventure Time



Honestly, I've never "gotten" the whole Spongebob Squarepants fascination. Specifically, I've never been able to grasp non-breeding adults who dutifully watch it solo. Granted, my experience with the show is largely limited to turning it on to pacify my nephew when he was younger and clicking past it on Virgin America flights. Still, my impression of it is that it's insipid to the point of even really talking about.

Now, if you want to talk about a kids' show that's as much for adults as anything else, then let's talk about Cartoon Network's Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. Since I discovered it about a week ago, I have been absolutely all about it. Before this, I've been known to crack up over adult-aimed cartoons of the Home Movies, Dr. Katz, or the (very Rated-R) Archer variety. But now I'm feeling the kid-friendly fare (though it could easily skew toward the Adult Swim realm).

There is a kid in a bunny hood and his adopted brother, a shape-shifting dog. There is a hipster vampire girl, assorted really bizarre princesses, an Ice King (voiced by Spongebob, himself), lots of anthropomorphized pastries and, of course, Lady Rainicorn. There's no clear storyline, just heaps and heaps of funny, random adventures. New eps air each Monday night, but I've been Tivo'ing and catching up on re-runs.

I'm not even sure I want my kid to watch it, honestly; it's exceedingly random, fairly violent and, at times, creepy. Plus, I get the same sensation as when I find her liking my expensive cheeses, or Trader Joe's mango juice too much; too good for kids!

I'm not alone in my adoration for this show. It's got it's own Wiki situation, blog, Facebook page (nearly 1.4 million likes!) and Twitter feed.

There are a full episodes on the home page and a ton of clips on Youtube. Here's my favorite:



UPDATE: Also, this has now happened.

AN UPDATE OF ACTUAL TIMELY IMPORTANCE: The cast and creators will host a screening and panel discussion this Sunday, Aug. 14 at L.A.'s Paley Center. Click here for more info.

2 comments:

  1. awesome. as i was reading, i was thinking of ochre jelly's lego version of the characters, but by the time i got to the end, i saw you'd already added the update with a link to it. well done.

    ReplyDelete