Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cafe Habana West, Andale!

I only lived in New York (Queens, that is) for one year and I spent much of that time broker than a joke. I'm talking constant ramen/cereal status. But best believe, come payday, I was heading out to explore the city's restaurants and front with the best of 'em. On more nights than were in any way reasonable, I could be found walking from my Soho office to Nolita's Cafe Habana.


It was teeny, always crodewd and offered little that fit into my then-vegetarian diet. But, oh...the tlacoyo tres marias! That cornmeal cake bursting with goat cheese, beans and sun-dried tomatoes was always well worth my hard-earned shillings (so what if I'd have to bum a token to get back to the outer buroughs afterwards). Just the warm, cheesy, bean-y memory of the meal has me shooting daggers of disgust at the bowl of peanut butter Puffins sitting in front of me. I've been looking for a close approximation ever since I left NYC, but kept coming up with nothing. Until now!

The restaurant just opened a West Coast spot. Sure, it's all the way the friggedy-frig up in Malibu, but I vow to make the trek sooner than later.


There are a ton of pix on Eater LA and it looks laid-back, yet gorgeous. Lush Caribbean vibe aside, the new restaurant will automatically come up short for me, because their (temporary) menu doesn't have ttm!!! (I eat meat now, though, so I'm willing to try new dishes.) There won't be the long waits that afforded an excuse to window-shop at Nolita's exquisite boutiques. There won't be the always amusing site of PYT's huddling around the corner cafe's outdoor benches, trying their best to eat cotija-encrusted corn cobs without losing their aloof miens, or jeopardizing their expensive outfits. And, let's talk about the time I waited outside for a table, only to look up and into the window and lock eyes with a dining Mos Def, who smiled and waved at me! Really, what is the likelihood that I will be able to replicate this dream-like scenario in Malibu?

There's only one way to find out!

3939 Cross Creek Road, Malibu, 310.317.0300.

No comments:

Post a Comment