Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wantables — The Back in the Saddle Edition

Wow, it's been over a month since my last post. I've been meaning to get back at it for a while now. Alas, I've always wound up shrugging it off and being just all-encompassingly lame.

Lame no more!

Leave it to Seed to inspire me to blog again. This Costa Mesa eco-super-store is an oasis for me; when I'm there (and just in The Camp, in general), I don't feel that spirit-crushing feeling I usually have when out and about in Orange County. Even though I'm not too terribly granola crunchy, or tree-huggish, I always want to buy everything in this store...even the camping stuff!

On last weekend's trip, I had to limit myself to a Livity sunhat (I got #38) and a Strawberry Shortcake picture disc from the used vinyl stacks. These other goodies caught my eye, too, though...


31 Bits necklaces and stackable recycled paper bracelets
These are gorgeous handmade fair trade accessories from a collective of women in Uganda. I could see pairing the necklaces with shirt-dresses and sweaters for Fall and giving the bracelets as gifts. Just a small criticism: Were there no Ugandan models available for the photo shoot? Their shopping page is a little Ann Taylor Loft.

Tiny Whales onesies and T-shirts
Okay, their site is kind of jacked up, what with the annoying music and the non-functioning shopping page and all. (EDIT: Just found out about their Etsy page, which is infinitely more functional.) The line itself is quite striking in person; really clever graphics, sophisticated color palettes and super soft cotton. Honestly, being the snob that I am, I was rather surprised to find out the designers are a husband and wife team from OC. It's a different aesthetic than I'm used to seeing in this Spongebob/Disney environment. Personal reminder: "When you assume..."

Kids Konserve reusable, waste-free lunch kits
Thankfully, my daughter's school serves an incredible hot lunch every day (as well they should, given the king's ransom we pay each month). If, however, we were stuck at one of those Jamie Oliver intervention schools, I might consider copping one of these kits. Each recycled cotton bag includes a cotton napkin, stainless steel water and food containers, and a little snack pouch. The idea is to eliminate plastic bags, paper towels, aluminum foil and the rest.

They are pretty much too good for kids. I mean, the total cost of all my daughter's preferred snacks all together (nori, apple slices, pretzels, yogurt and cheese) is nowhere near the $45 asking price. But can you really put a price on moral superiority? I think not.

Seed sells each of the kit's components separately, in case you need multiples of any one thing, or if you just want to try the Food Kozy out without spending a small fortune for the rest. I think I may buy a pair for field trips.
We have been looking all over for a print to fill some empty living room wall space. I came across Slide Sideways' stationery at Seed and found out some of the same designs are available as prints on the Seattle couple's Etsy site. Great timing, too, because they're having a sale!




No comments:

Post a Comment