Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Watch This — I Wanted Her To Fill In For Letterman, But This'll Do

Either I've been living under a rock, or NBC's done a piss-poor job of advertising the fact that Maya Rudolph is debuting her own variety show on May 19. This clip is a pretty slapdash promo, but I'll take it!



I have loved Rudolph since the Destiny's Child-parodying "Gemini's Twin" sketches on SNL (why, oh why aren't there live links to those on YouTube?). I cried while watching "Away We Go," cried laughing at "Idiocracy" and "Bridesmaids" and cried on the inside when her talents were squandered on "Up All Night."

The way I see it, NBC owes her one for that last debacle. "The Maya Rudolph Show" is set to feature reliably funny folks like Chris Parnell, Craig Robinson and Andy Samberg, plus musical guests like style goddess, Janelle Monae. Also, Raphael Saadiq is set to be the show's bandleader. If you only remember him from Tony! Toni! Toné!, do yourself a favor and get updated. Even if there weren't a host of awesome names attached to this venture, I'd tune in just for Maya. She's long-since deserved to get the Carol Burnett treatment. With any luck, this hour-long special will fair well enough, ratings wise, to spark a weekly show.

Fun fact(s): Back when my daughter was a toddler, I used to kick it at the playground with a friend of Maya's who told me my kid was the spitting image of the actress as a child. Also, when I wore white flowers in my natural locks on my wedding day, folks told me I looked like Rudolph's mom, Minnie Riperton. (After consulting Google Images, I guess I can kinda, sorta agree on both fronts.) But, wait. Are these "fun facts," or delusional ramblings? I can't decide. Either way, don't worry....I'm just a fan, not a stalker, I swear.

Whew! I got off track there. Pretend it never happened and watch this instead. Skip to 2:44 to see her do a Gwen Stefani impression that makes me giggle with delight.



No comments:

Post a Comment