Tuesday, May 13, 2014

L.A. Escapes — "Gas Giant" at MOCA
























After an incredibly sweet Mother's Day visit to the Skirball's Ezra Jack Keats retrospective, I popped over to the Pacific Design Center to see Jacob Hashimoto's "Gas Giant" installation. 

It was my first time at this particular branch of MOCA (it's a shoe box of a space, compared to the PDC's giant crayon-colored complex), and I don't think I want to ever go back again. I want to preserve it in my mind just as it is, filled with hundreds and hundreds of Hashimoto's handmade "kites."



The first floor of the exhibit gives you black, white and turmoil. Upstairs, though, there's color, light and a sense of loftiness. The few patrons who wandered up were all hit with a similar dumbfounded stare, all eyes gazing upward. There are even little stools scattered along the walls for those who want to sit and simply daydream. It is a perfect place to be very still and very quiet.

If you want to experience "Gas Giant," you'd better hurry; the show wraps June 8. Admission is FREE, but there's a $5 suggested donation.

MOCA - Pacific Design Center
8687 Melrose Ave.
West Hollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment