Monday, March 15, 2010

If It Ain't Broke...

I don't ask for much, really. I mean, I do, but I never really expect to get it. I just want my Thursday night sitcom roster to help me through the week. And lately, that boat's been rocking. It's bad enough that the Winter Olympics put my laugh track on pause last month. And then, there's the sad reality that "The Office" and "30 Rock" have been flat-lining this season, leaving "Community" and "Parks & Recreation" to pick up the slack. But now...

I just read that Paul Schneider (aka, Mark Brendanawicz) is leaving "Parks & Recreation." Yes, every week, Andy and Tom steal the show. But, who's Andy going to continue his hilariously quixotic feud with? Who's Tom going to obvliviously compare peacocking notes with? Who's going to give Ann any reason whatsoever to remain on the show?


The executive producer gives an explanation for his leaving at the end of the season (apparently, it's all part of a story arc they'd planned all along) and I guess it makes sense and all. And then, there's this announcement that Adam Scott from "Party Down" will join the cast. Both actors have subtlety and charm to spare. But Schneider's snark-free, humble straight man vibe will be sorely missed (by me, anyway).

I've been a fan ever since I first saw him in "All the Real Girls," which he co-wrote with David Gordon Green (sooooo good!). And I told him as such when I found myself sitting across from him at Kaldi Coffee Shop in Atwater Village a couple of years ago. He was so self-effacing and sweet, claiming to be shocked that I'd actually even seen it.


And now that soft-spoken affability is being subtracted from my winning equation. What next? Are they going to add an unnecessary new teacher to "Community" — Martin Short, Rob Schneider, or someone of comparable awfulness? Multiply the muting-worthy Jim and Pam baby filler? Sigh. It's (almost) enough to make me take up books again.

No comments:

Post a Comment