Wednesday, February 24, 2010

3 Hours in L.A.*

*Actually, it was more like 2.5 hours, thanks to I-5's congested traffic all the way up the connect-the-dumps stretch from Santa Fe Springs to City of Commerce.

This morning, I threw caution to the wind and journeyed up to L.A. for a haircut. I know, I know...that undermines my project. But I have to look fresh and clean for Saturday night (you'll have to check back this weekend to find out why!)

Factoring in an hour drive each way, I had precious little time to "do me" before I had to be back in Orange County to pick up my daughter from school.

First up was Rudy's Barbershop, where they practically scalped me (just the way I like it), slathered my head with tea tree goodness and sent me on my way. While at Rudy's, I noticed that what I knew to be the historical Vista Theater was now wearing an unsightly new facade and a huge sign that read: Ogden Marsh Cinemas. I shook my head and lamented the stately Vista's loss (even though my Mommy status prevented me from seeing anything other than "The Simpsons Movie" and "Dreamgirls" there). Online investigating after the fact revealed that it was a publicity stunt, left up from last night's premiere of "The Crazies," that small town "28 Days Later"-looking horror flick that wild horses couldn't drag me to.

[Ed. note: How tired was I when I typed this? What I meant to say about the Vista was not that it was gone physically, but bought out by some nameless, faceless chain and, thus, gone spiritually.]

Now, onto the next spot on my whirlwind tour. If you've spent much time east of Hollywood, you may recall Sunset Junction cafe and bakery, Town & Country.


Well, it's now gone (alas, few are likely to be lamenting its loss). My friends and I wanted so badly to like it — nice owner, free parking lot, great people-watching. But comfort food is supposed to bring you...you know, comfort, not consternation. Erroneous orders, slow service, sold-out everything and food that only sounded good were all the norm.

Well, someone must've burned some very potent sage over the space because its new incarnation, Forage, is the kind of place where I'd love to be a regular.


T&C's kitschy, bright colors have been white-washed and the focus is all on the food.


I worked it out with this pork belly sandwich, which — once you managed to penetrate the fierce armor of bread — was mouth-watering. The garlic aoili, crunchy cabbage and fennel pickles were the perfect accents to what I felt to be a stingy portion of Niman Ranch pork (there is never enough pork belly, you guys, especially when it's this good). My sandwich came with an inhale-able potato and cabbage soup that was velvety, rich and savory, despite its Depression Era sound and appearance. My lovely lunch companion, Susan, loved her faro and lentil salad so much, she went back for seconds. The desserts looked all kinds of beautiful, but time was not on my side. We vowed to go back soon and Susan even stopped to tell one of the chefs she was so glad they'd moved in to remove the curse that had been on the building.

BTW, they do a weekly harvest call for for folks to bring in their best seasonal produce to be used in their rotating recipes — everyone from local farmers to area gardeners with bright green thumbs. How cool is that?

I spent my last half-hour poking around Yolk. I went frugal and only bought a copy of the Indie-Rock Coloring Book. (There's too much to say about this purchase, really, so just check the link.)


Here's what I reluctantly left behind...
Slick cups from Marimekko's In Good Company collection. They would make my macchiatos taste so cool. Sigh.

I also passed on their super-soft Mini Rotation toddler shirts...

...and Global Mamas' adorable fair trade dresses...


Let's see...what have I forgotten? I had the requisite "do I know her, or is she on TV?" sighting. And, of course, I saw Silver Lake's shirtless walking guy. Oh, and the drive home afforded me a glimpse at a billboard even more nauseating than a Spearmint Rhino ad. While Toyota's recalling everything, it can go ahead and include that dreadful "Mommy Like" campaign for its Sienna mini-van. As if the pun on the already dreadful phrase "Daddy Like" wasn't bad enough, it's perpetuating the lame mom-as-minivan maven stereotype. Yuck.
A far more pleasant roadside spotting? A "What Would Mma. Romotswe Do?" license plate frame. Too cute.

Man, I need to make trips like this longer and more frequent. (And for the sake of blogging, it might help if I take a fully functioning camera along with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment