Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It's Big and It's Bland, Full of Tension and Fear*

My interest in fashion is one of the many things that fell through the cracks when I became a stay-at-home mom. Style, I'll never abandon; I'm not ready to give in to the lure of everyday sweats. But "the world of fashion" bores me these days. There are no fashion magazines on my coffee table, my last trip to Barneys lasted a cool five minutes and I breezed right past Neimans when I last had an opportunity to go inside. So, while a little voice in the back of my head reminded me it was New York Fashion Week time, I had a hard time getting excited about it.


In all honesty, I only started really following the ready-to-wear collections for work (back when I reported on them as a style writer). But then, I found myself caring about them far beyond the call of duty. Who were the models to watch from one season to the next? Who was on the front row, when? Which bands were playing designers' after-parties?


Now, I guess, I — like the rest of the unwashed masses — need the full-on dog and pony show that 'Project Runway' provides in order to get even the least bit excited about designing clothes.

I would've ignored the to-do all together, if not for a ritual I had with two girlfriends of mine. We had a rich tradition of clicking our way through Style.com's coverage and messaging back and forth about the good, the bad and the affronts to all five senses.


I hope they (and you) appreciate all I do for them! I finally waded through and...everything looks like everything else. With a skeptic's eye, I can see each designer's work taking the express route from high-end boutique to Loehmann's, or its knock-off going straight to Forever 21.


There were a few, however, that instantly triggered my "ooh-la-la" reflex. No blah, blah, blah about trends, fabrication, or silhouettes. Just looks that made both eyebrows raise.


I'm loving the orange and rust several designers (like Narciso Rodriguez, above) threw into the sea of black.

This Jenni Kayne jacket and I could be fast friends.

Jason Wu

Two from Erin Fetherston...


Christian Cota
Carolina Herrera
Badgley Mischka

And I just threw this Suno pic in because it was so refreshing to see a show where the models smiled.

(All photos from Style.com)

*David Bowie's, "Fashion"

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! I'm going to go back now and look at what was offered. Of your picks, I like the color contrast of that orange against black (not burnt orange) and the simplicity of Carolina Herrera. Doesn't seem odd that none of it seems very spring-like?

    ReplyDelete